Tuesday, June 9, 2009

How far should our patriotism go?

The Fourth of July is just around the corner. It seems that it comes and goes so quickly. Some have suggested that we have a patriotic season from Memorial Day culminating with Independence Day (Flag Day is in there as well). Interesting.

I've always been patriotic. Maybe it's because I've lived in the south for most of my life. It could be connected to the Texas pride that has been ingrained in the very atoms of our beings here. I remember being taught at a young age, as all school-aged kids are, the pledge of allegiance. It was one of my favorite parts of the morning school ritual.

As I grew up fireworks was the way to express our national pride and celebrating our freedom as a country that has the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

In high school I developed a strong sense of nationalism. American pride was oozing from me like cheese leaking out of a Juicy Lucy. It was around Operation Desert Storm that this pride really took off. I remember supporting Pat Buchanan's ultra-conservative views (Didn't he advocate way back then putting up border walls?). If you are going to be in America then speak our language. All that nationalism jazz was what I believed.

My world changed when I moved to Kansas City in 2000. Maybe it was the crisis of "culture shock." Maybe it was me getting out of a dominant point-of-view and was starting to hear other political voices that were just as authentic and genuine. Perhaps it had more to do with my theological molding that I would frame while attending Nazarene Seminary.

I now find myself back in the south. I used to get excited when Old Navy put their current year's flag shirts on sale to express my commercialized patriotism. Now, I don't know exactly how to view myself as one who eagerly wants to live and operate and have my being rooted in the kingdom of God while I live and am a citizen of these United States of America. It seems that at times the way of the kingdom and/or the ways of America are diametrically opposed from the other. The values of America (self-sufficiency, rugged individualism, profit at all costs, "you're-either-with-us-or-against-us," "exploit other countries by using their national resources and polluting their air and water so we don't have all that junk here while underpaying their workers so that we don't have to pay our own people to do it and provide job benefits," and others) don't seem to align with the way of Jesus and the kingdom.

This doesn't even yet deal with how we view America and her early beginnings. I don't really want to take the time to spell out anything about our history as a "Christian" nation. But for several years I've doubted that notion.

Have any of you struggled to find how to be in two places at once regarding this issue of American patriotism and living in the kingdom? I do not want to associate/equate patriotism and nationalism because I think that they aren't required to be linked. What does it look like to be seriously Christian -- in the way of the kingdom -- and having pride in America?

-- Even now I am thankful that I live in a country that allows us to talk and publish questions such as these.

5 comments:

Brando said...

Michael,

I think we have to be very specific with the language that we use when it comes to this tricky issue. Yes, I'm thankful for the place where I grew up. There are wonderful people in America. And there are things about our country and its history that give a very rich, unique culture that I'm proud to be a part of. But my allegiance belongs to the One who created all the countries. Therefore I have to look at how God has richly blessed His people all over the world. And I must not be afraid to look critically at the ways "We" have missed the mark of being a godly nation.

Michael said...

Thanks Brando. I hear what you are saying. I'm in no ways trying to say America is a bad country. But, it seems that some of the values/ideals that are held as "the American way of life" go against what we're called to if we want to live into the kingdom.

I'm trying to express my feeling of displacement in a larger evangelical domain that sees American patriotism as part of what it means to be Christian. It seems that for some people that I know put America first, rather than the kingdom. The gospels seem to question where our allegiance lies.

I'm curious what specific language you have in mind that we employ for this discussion.

Grace and peace,

Michael

Matt said...

Michael,

I resonate with your thoughts. I suppose the reason is that recently I've become "the boss". As an associate pastor I was a good #2. I did what the lead pastor suggested - even if I disagreed. Now I'm the guy. This time of year is so frustrating to me. "Pastor, someone wanted to know where the flags in the sanctuary went. They are saying we're not patriotic!" Well....

So back up they went. I think that if we express freedom in Christ and pledge our allegiance to Him then maybe we can chip away at the consumerist approach to this Christian life.

We're better Americans than we are Christians.

Now what to do on July 5th?

Calvary Callender said...

I feel your struggle! Having grown up in Texas, it is like we are drugged as little kids to love Texas and the good ole USA! While I agree that consumerism and selfishness rule the day in our nation, I am still proud to be American. What I have been trying to do is help my church change its culture from an "American Christian" to Christian first American second. I am learning how to still be proud to be an American, but when American and Christian ideas conflict to be Christian first.

Michael said...

Cal,
Thanks for your comment; I appreciate your thoughts. Yes; I too, am proud of our country. But want to keep the ways of Christ above the ways of America.