Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Community Called Atonement


I just started a new book by Scot McKnight entitled, "A Community Called Atonement." So far, just 50 some pages in, I want to share that I could not put it down. However, a book of this magnitude requires so much processing, I would like to propose that we share some of the ideas from the book and talk about what we are defining as the "church" - not to mention anything else that may spring forth from reading. Here is something that stands out from the first few pages:
" 'The gospel we preach shapes the kind of churches we create.
The kid of church we have shapes the gospel we preach.'
It would be simplistic and colonizing to suggest that power determines everything, but we should be alert to the observation that the power a local church possesses shapes what it offers as gospel and atonement. Could it be that we are not reconciled more in this world - among Christians, within the USA, and between countries - because we have shaped our atonement theories to keep our group the same and others out? I believe the answer to that question is unambiguously yes. "

While there is so much I think about this and will hopefully share, I will simply say that I agree with his assessment and anticipate reading what you think.

2 comments:

j.t.barker said...

I just wanted to also say that I am sorry for breaking from the 'Books on the Table" which I believe are great ones - this just happens to be what I am reading right now.

Michael said...

It sounds like a really good book! McKnight is a great thinker. I'll try to get the book soon.